Easygps Questions

Sparky-Watts

I've spent a few hours in the past few days trying to learn how to use EasyGPS, and I'm not having a lot of luck. Here are a few questions for the audience of experts, if you would be willing to help the wet cat out:

First, I asked this question in another thread already, but I'll ask it again. When I first downloaded EasyGPS, I had no trouble downloading my first few sets of waypoints from the gc.com site. Now, for the past several days, when I try to download waypoints, I get this error message (or something like it): "...was unable to recognize xxxxx file, try again later or contact server administrator." What's that mean? (I tried to post it verbatim, but it seems the gc.com site is down right now.)

Next question: Once I do figure out how to download waypoints from the site again into EasyGPS, all the files downloaded have the same name(geocaching.loc), so how do I change the name of the file before I download it, or do I need to change the one that's already downloaded so that it won't be overwritten? It's been a few weeks, but I don't remember if I had the option to change the file name before downloading.

Please, help me with these two questions, and then I'm sure I'll come back with twice as many. I've done a forum search, and pretty much come up blank on most of this.....

I often download multiple loc files at once. You didn't mention what operating system you are using but I use XP and this is what I do:

Select save waypoints.

When the window pops up that asks you where you want to save the file and what you want to name it, I just add a 2, 3, 4, etc at the end of the 'geocaching' file name.

I end up with geocaching.loc, geocaching2.loc, geocaching3.loc and so on.

I think the first question you asked is related to a server crash or overload. I have been getting a lot of error messages lately. Just keep trying! :ph34r:

I often download multiple loc files at once. You didn't mention what operating system you are using but I use XP and this is what I do:

Select save waypoints.

When the window pops up that asks you where you want to save the file and what you want to name it, I just add a 2, 3, 4, etc at the end of the 'geocaching' file name.

I end up with geocaching.loc, geocaching2.loc, geocaching3.loc and so on.

I think the first question you asked is related to a server crash or overload. I have been getting a lot of error messages lately. Just keep trying! :ph34r:

Thanks. I meant to include the PC info, but forgot. I'm running WinXP with netscape 7.x on a dinosaur dial-up. To be honest, I don't recall whether a "save" window even came up, as it's been a couple of weeks since I've even been able to d/l any files, and I can't even remember what I had for lunch.....I appreciate the help, and hopefully I can at least get d/l's again so that I can try your approach...... :ph34r:

I will try to answer your questions. I use ExpertGPS and EasyGPS, and the process is the same.

1. The gc.com web site does seem to be extra busy lately.

2. When a waypoint file is downloaded from gc.com, the name is geocaching.loc. Save the file.

3. When Windows pops open the "save as" dialog box, save the file as geochaching.loc, or any name you want with a loc extension. I put the file on my desktop.

4. Download all the waypoint files you want, and for example, change the name from geocaching.loc to geocaching1.loc, geocaching2.loc, etc.

5. When you are done downloading, open EasyGPS, and open each of your downloaded files. Each file will open in a new window in EasyGPS.

At this point, I usally cut and paste the different files all into one window, and save it with a descriptive name and date. Now all your waypoints are in one *.loc file. You can delete all of the cut and pasted files, since all of your waypoints are in one big descriptive file.

Hope this helps.

I will try to answer your questions. I use ExpertGPS and EasyGPS, and the process is the same.

1. The gc.com web site does seem to be extra busy lately.

2. When a waypoint file is downloaded from gc.com, the name is geocaching.loc. Save the file.

3. When Windows pops open the "save as" dialog box, save the file as geochaching.loc, or any name you want with a loc extension. I put the file on my desktop.

4. Download all the waypoint files you want, and for example, change the name from geocaching.loc to geocaching1.loc, geocaching2.loc, etc.

5. When you are done downloading, open EasyGPS, and open each of your downloaded files. Each file will open in a new window in EasyGPS.

At this point, I usally cut and paste the different files all into one window, and save it with a descriptive name and date. Now all your waypoints are in one *.loc file. You can delete all of the cut and pasted files, since all of your waypoints are in one big descriptive file.

Hope this helps.

Alright! That sounds like a good plan......thanks for the tip.... :ph34r:

Whats this talk of .loc files? :ph34r:

Sparky, couldn't you just have a gpx file made and sent to you? And then open that or am I missing something??

(Im no expert at easygps, ill be happy when I get a usb adaptor and can go back to mass uploads :ph34r: )

Whats this talk of .loc files? :ph34r:

Sparky, couldn't you just have a gpx file made and sent to you? And then open that or am I missing something??

(Im no expert at easygps, ill be happy when I get a usb adaptor and can go back to mass uploads :ph34r: )

Ummmm....I don't know.... :ph34r: ......how do you do that? (I told you I'm still somewhat of a noob....) Heck, by the time I figure all of this stuff out, I'll probably be a premium member, and have a whole new set of problems to figure out....I'm a simple man, I lead a simple life...... :ph34r:

Ummmm....I don't know.... :ph34r: ......how do you do that? (I told you I'm still somewhat of a noob....) Heck, by the time I figure all of this stuff out, I'll probably be a premium member, and have a whole new set of problems to figure out....I'm a simple man, with a wet cat, I lead a simple life...... :ph34r:

"Cachito Ergo Sum" ???? Guess the check must have cleared :ph34r:

If you create a pocket query for whatever you want, have it sent to you (zipped and in Groundspeak's .gpx format). Then just unzip the file and open it will easy gps, and upload to your gps unit. The last time I did this (a few months ago!), it worked pretty well. All the names were the GCXXXX ID numbers, but I had 490 some caches in the gps in like 40secs so I can overlook the terriable naming.

Now my question, who do I slap for designing this computer with ONE serial port? :ph34r:

Now my question, who do I slap for designing this computer with ONE serial port?

Tell me about it....10 USB ports and one serial....I ended up getting a serial to USB adapter for my GPSr...works quite well!

Thanks all for the tips......I'll try again today to see if I can get things to d/l for me.....

Hey Sparky, I don't see on the header that it is downloading to EasyGPS. Is it? If not then maybe that is why it cannot be read B) I'm no pc geek, so I am just guessing :rolleyes: .

It's not downloading anywhere......that's the message I get when I click on "Download Waypoints". Does that mean that I need to have EasyGPS open when I try to download? No other program I use needs to be open to download files into it, but maybe this one does? I'm not at all technologically brilliant, so that's why I'm asking.....

Sounds like you need a new browser... that message is coming from IE for some reason... :rolleyes:

Having good luck with Mozilla, myself, but it might be easier to order the CD for it or get a friend with broadband to download and burn you a copy. You'll be waiting quite a while on dialup.

Edited by Maeglin
Sounds like you need a new browser... that message is coming from IE for some reason... :rolleyes:

Having good luck with Mozilla, myself, but it might be easier to order the CD for it or get a friend with broadband to download and burn you a copy. You'll be waiting quite a while on dialup.

But I've been using Netscape since I joined the site. One time that I did try to use IE, I had terrible problems doing anything at the site. Why would that message come from IE if I'm using Netscape?

Hey Sparky, I don't see on the header that it is downloading to EasyGPS. Is it? If not then maybe that is why it cannot be read B)  I'm no pc geek, so I am just guessing :rolleyes: .

It's not downloading anywhere......that's the message I get when I click on "Download Waypoints". Does that mean that I need to have EasyGPS open when I try to download? No other program I use needs to be open to download files into it, but maybe this one does? I'm not at all technologically brilliant, so that's why I'm asking.....

No, EasyGPS does not need to be open while you are downloading the file.

Hey Sparky, I don't see on the header that it is downloading to EasyGPS. Is it? If not then maybe that is why it cannot be read B)  I'm no pc geek, so I am just guessing :rolleyes: .

No, EasyGPS does not need to be open while you are downloading the file.

Well, I didn't think so, but like I said, I'm not the brightest sock in the wash......

.........still waiting for anyone that has a clue of why I'm getting that error message, and what I can do to avoid it (short of not trying to download waypoints).

But I've been using Netscape since I joined the site. One time that I did try to use IE, I had terrible problems doing anything at the site. Why would that message come from IE if I'm using Netscape?

Ah, sorry... Netscape wasn't mentioned anywhere in the filename. That was the reason for the confusion.

Are you just left-clicking on the "download waypoints" link? If so, tried right-clicking and selecting the "save as" choice? The exact text is "Save link target as" in Mozilla. It's probably very similar in Netscape.

.........still waiting for anyone that has a clue of why I'm getting that error message, and what I can do to avoid it (short of not trying to download waypoints).

Tell me EXACTLY what you are trying to download and how and I'll try it myself.

That will rule out (or in) a problem with the data itself.

.........still waiting for anyone that has a clue of why  I'm getting that error message, and what  I can do to avoid it (short of not trying to download waypoints).

Tell me EXACTLY what you are trying to download and how and I'll try it myself.

That will rule out (or in) a problem with the data itself.

I'm trying to download a list of waypoints from a search from zip code 67108. I check the boxes on the page, then click the "Download Waypoints" button toward the bottom of the list....

But I've been using Netscape since I joined the site.  One time that I did try to use IE, I had terrible problems doing anything at the site.  Why would that message come from IE if I'm using Netscape?

Ah, sorry... Netscape wasn't mentioned anywhere in the filename. That was the reason for the confusion.

Are you just left-clicking on the "download waypoints" link? If so, tried right-clicking and selecting the "save as" choice? The exact text is "Save link target as" in Mozilla. It's probably very similar in Netscape.

In most instances, when downloading anything, I can right click and get the "Save Target as..." option. However, right-clicking on this "Download Waypoints" button doesn't even bring up that list of options, only a list of options to "Bookmark", "Save Page as..", "View Page Source" etc .......

I'm trying to download a list of waypoints from a search from zip code 67108. I check the boxes on the page, then click the "Download Waypoints" button toward the bottom of the list....

Just did it myself- no problems here.

I can email you the file if you'd like! :rolleyes:

Edit: and this

That one gave me the answer I needed. I already had the preferences and file types selected, but re-did it according to the intructions in that thread and I'm happy to say it is now working.....we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Thanks to all who helped, it is greatly appreciated!!

I'll leave this thread open for a while, in case anyone else has anything more to add, or so that it can occasionally be bumped up for others who may be having similar troubles.

Thanks again, gang!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Sparky-Watts