Approvers?

It might make the site more user friendly for the newbies (and some of us oldies) if there was a list of Approvers showing who to contact for each state. Without having placed any caches the cacher may not know who the approver is for their area. We live near the AZ and UT state line and didn't know there was 2 different approvers for us until we had placed several caches.

A list could be shown on the 'how to place a cache' page and maybe at the 'contact Geocaching' link.

Something simple like a list of states with the approvers name would be appreciated and used by us newbies.

Any other opinions?

John & Shirley

Yup, that's a great idea. I know who my approver is, just because I've placed a few caches. But, I've also seen lots of threads started by noobs asking who their approver is, or how to find out who their approver is. It would be a very helpful thing to have. I'd like to see it, just out of curiosity, too.

I exist! And I'm *not* a figment of your imagination! :D

Seriously, I think this is a good idea. A map exists of the cache reviewer regions but it is not available to the general public. I think it would be very helpful to both parties if made public.

Edited by 9Key
I exist! And I'm *not* a figment of your imagination! :D

Seriously, I think this is a good idea. A map exists of the cache reviewer regions but it is not available to the general public. I think it would be very helpful to both parties if made public.

How do I know I didn't just imagine that you posted that? :unsure::)

Ahhh, but we can barely keep our own map up-to-date, since responsibilities change so frequently. I'd want to be sure that accurate information is presented. Of course, anything would be better than no information at all!

In past discussions of this issue with the other volunteers and with TPTB, I've been an advocate of making better use of the "state homepages" that are accessed from the top right corner of the main homepage. (These are the pages that list upcoming events, the newest caches and travel bug drops, and links to local geocaching organizations.) Wouldn't it be cool if these pages had text like the following:

If you have questions about a geocache in Ohio, contact Keystone Approver, the Geocaching.com volunteer cache reviewer for Ohio.
There could be a link to the volunteer's profile page and maybe also information on how to send us money via PayPal.
In past discussions of this issue with the other volunteers and with TPTB, I've been an advocate of making better use of the "state homepages" that are accessed from the top right corner of the main homepage. (These are the pages that list upcoming events, the newest caches and travel bug drops, and links to local geocaching organizations.) Wouldn't it be cool if these pages had text like the following:

If you have questions about a geocache in Ohio, contact Keystone Approver, the Geocaching.com volunteer cache reviewer for Ohio.
There could be a link to the volunteer's profile page and maybe also information on how to send us money via PayPal.

Wow...what a great idea! :)

But I ain't Paypal'in you anything, Pal! :unsure:

Bret

In past discussions of this issue with the other volunteers and with TPTB, I've been an advocate of making better use of the "state homepages" that are accessed from the top right corner of the main homepage.  (These are the pages that list upcoming events, the newest caches and travel bug drops, and links to local geocaching organizations.)  Wouldn't it be cool if these pages had text like the following:

Wow...what a great idea! :unsure:

But I ain't Paypal'in you anything, Pal! :)

Bret

Is that why my caches sometimes take days to get approved? I didn't see the paypal link.

For real, I would like to see who covers our state. I have had several different approvers on my caches. Moun10bike is great and fast. Some have been like five days for very simple ones. It would be nice to know so that we could ask if something was a problem ahead of time or if a change might make it work better.

We have had caches approved by admins from all across the country. A simple link showing all approvers for those of us that live near several states. We thought about putting a cache in NV. but have no idea who to contact if we would have a question about some aspect of the cache.

One list should be easier to maintain than fifty different pages. Each state could have a link to this list.

How about letting us choose an admin to approve our caches? For example- UT Admin has approved most of our caches and understands us (I think) and knows our style of placing caches. Our AZ caches are all within about 40 miles of UT anyways.

Just another thought to mull over.

John